Preventing premature aging
Just because we started a new year does not mean we have to look a year older. If you take the time to care for your skin, you can slow the aging process. This has been called “Prejuvenation,” These six simple tips can help you prevent premature aging.
- Protect your skin from the sun. You can slow the aging process by blocking UV rays from the sun and avoiding tanning beds. The daily use of broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF-30 or greater) is probably the best “anti-aging” treatment you can undertake. A hat and sunglasses with UV protection are also helpful physical barriers against the sun. In addition to your face, you should apply sunscreen to any skin not covered by clothing – think upper chest, arms, and legs. Even brief amounts of sun can damage the skin, so it is important to apply sunscreen every day.
- Stop smoking. Stopping completely can replenish collagen and improve your skin’s healing processes. Your skin will maintain its youthful appearance, and your lungs, heart, and circulation will benefit. Ask your doctor about treatments that can assist you in stopping smoking if you don’t smoke; congratulations!
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. These contain antioxidants that protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
- Exercise regularly throughout the week. This will nourish your skin by improving blood flow and enhancing immune function.
- Wash your face gently twice a day. Try to avoid scrubbing as this tends to irritate the skin.
- In addition to sunscreen, apply a facial moisturizer daily. A moisturizer helps maintain the skin as a protective barrier. Most people get drier skin as they get older, and a moisturizer will really freshen you up.
By incorporating these steps, not only will your skin look better, but your overall health will improve.